We are proud to announce that our new purpose-built group space location dubbed “The Space” is now complete! The Space is an inclusive location where all our group activities will now operate. The facility has lots of exciting features including a gym, outdoor area and BBQ.
Group activities are a great way to build friendships with peers of similar age and interests. We have male, female as well as mixed groups for ages between 16 – 65. Our groups aim to increase participant’s capacity, make new friends and increase social & community participation.
The sewing group meets at The Space each week to complete projects, collect supplies from spotlight, socialise and listen to music. Each year the group prepare for their annual stall where they sell the amazing things they have been working on all year.
MKR (Monday Kitchen Rules)
If you love to cook and share a meal with friends, then our new MKR group is for you! You will learn the basics of cooking, how to read a recipe, prepare ingredients and of course, you will get to cook and try nutritious meals and desserts!
Art and craft activities are fun, relaxing, and a great way to express yourself creatively! There are so many creative methods and different materials that you can use to bring a creative vision to life. You can draw, paint, glue, colour, make jewellery, and so much more.
Introducing Empowered’s very own Dance Troupe! The benefits of dance are enormous, and by joining our dance troupe, not only will you be improving your health, but it will be a wonderful social platform. Each week you will learn choreographed dance routines before heading out for dinner to discuss upcoming performances.
MENSday is dedicated to the guys! A day to socialise and interact through engaging activities! Including BBQ lunches, DIY projects, Cooking, Gardening, Fitness & more.
Hour of Power Fitness
It’s time to stay active and healthy by exercising in our purpose-built gym @ The Space! Each week we will come together and do a range of fitness activities in a supportive session, including weights and cardio. Do you have fitness outcomes you would like to achieve?
Every Wednesday night, the group meets at The Space to play different video games on various consoles. Each week the guys take turns choosing video games as well as choosing the weekly take out dinner!
Fast track your fitness goals with Power Moves, where our personal trainer blends movement and mindfulness. On top of the moves, participants will also enjoy a healthy lunch that will have you feeling your best!
Friends On Friday Group
Our new Friday group is all our groups rolled into one plus more!! We will spend our Fridays between The Space and out in the community with a focus on community participation. If you like to do various activities, including art, cooking, fitness, music and are looking for a social group with community access, then our Friday group may be the right fit for you!!
If you would like any further information about any of the group or social activities we have on offer you can contact our office on 40 549 286, alternatively, you can send through an enquiry through our contact us page below.
Do you have a bucket list of activities you have always wanted to have a go at? Do you have a hobby or interest that you want to spend more time doing? Do you want to contribute to your community in a way that means a lot to you? Need some support to make it happen? Then you’ve come to the right place.
Empowered offers a wide range of social supports, how we can help you is all up to you! You are the master of your own Empowered life and we get alongside you to build capacity and have fun and laughter along the way. Our workers help with so many different dreams, it is different for every person but it’s all about your needs and how you want to live your life.
You might want to join a group, meet new people, check out the local gigs, go to the footy or get involved in your local community
You may want to learn independence skills such as catching a bus, getting groceries or learning how to cook. Whatever you wish to do, whatever your goals, we can match you with a support worker that can help you live an Empowered life.
Empowered thinks outside basic activities that many services offer. We work with you and support your decision making and communication of how you want to be involved in your community. We can help you sample new things or get involved in the ‘thing’ that ensures you are truly living the life you want. Talk to us today about your life goals and see how we can empower your dreams.
Are you wanting to try new things and are unsure where to start? Want something different than being a tourist in your community? Have a look at the list of things to do people with a disability have thought of:
- Join a community group, whatever you are into, there are lots of people that like the same thing. Fixing bikes, playing board games, catching Pokémon, collecting rocks painting or sewing. Can’t find a group, start your own!
- If you are interested in spirituality, sample a church, temple, mosque or synagogue or if you want to find out more about cultural arts, give comedy, a musical, or ballet. You never know, you might find something you like you never knew about.
- Volunteer, whatever you love, there will always be a group that needs a helper. You might collect towels and blankets for animal rescue groups, help feed the homeless, collecting books for the hospital, help school kids with reading, foster or adopt a pet, plant trees, build bat boxes or hold a fundraiser for a worthy cause.
- If you want to have a go at something, but your disability seems like it has some barriers, check out disabled accessible horse riding, surfing, water skiing or sailing groups in your area.
- Learn from other people. Have you ever met a farmer, jockey, shearer, photographer, an immigrant, rugby player, triathlete, activist? You can find out heaps about your community through other people and you might find your favourite hobby at the same time.
- Go to community consultations and make your voice heard. Make sure your preferred communication method is supported by your Empowered support worker, or someone who understands that you have barriers in daily life, like access or inclusion.
- Learn how to be financially responsible, find a book or audiobook, or start a savings jar for a big-ticket item you really want.